Any Saudi who is against women driving, when asked about it will first say: This is an old topic and it is done with and that Saudis have all agreed that they do NOT want women to drive except for an ignorant and misled few. Besides it is also a minor issue that not that many women care about. If the issue is still pressed then the Saudi will promptly give you the following reasons:
There are two rules in Ifta (the science of writing a fatwa):
a) Whatever leads to an Islamic prohibition, should be prohibited.
b) And if an issue’s detriments outweigh or equal its benefits then it should be prohibited.
Based on the above two Ifta rules, women should not drive because:
- Women driving cars will lead them to take off the face-cover.
- It will lead to women losing their modesty and feminine shyness.
- It will make it easier for women to leave their houses without need.
- It will lead women to be free to go wherever they want and whenever they want.
- It will be a tool of rebellion against husbands and families in that if a woman is upset she can get in her car and go someplace to cool down.
- It will lead to Fitna (a door to sin)in many ways:
a) at stoplights
b) at gas stations
c) at investigation points
d) if a woman is stopped for an accident or traffic violation
e) if she needs to fill her tires with air
f) If a woman’s car stops because of a malfunction and in this case a scumbag guy might come and bargain with her for sex in exchange for fixing her car.
- It is reason for financial excess because women are naturally frivolous and they are known to throw away clothes every time a new style comes out and as such she will do the same with cars; getting every new model as soon as it comes out.
These reasons and more are all across the internet and they are taken very seriously by a large number of Saudis. Some of the websites that carry these reasons include: